Custom Search
06:34

TENSES: INTRODUCTION

In Indonesian we do not recognise what English speakers say as tenses. Consequently, in Indonesian there is no the past form of verbs. They will be the same when they are used for ‘past tense’, ‘present tense’, and ‘future tense’. Therefore, you do not need to memorise the past form of verbs as we do when we learn English, or other languages. This fact also applies to local languages in Indonesia, such as Sundanese and Javanese. I do not know with other local languages because in Indonesia there are more than 700 local languages.

Look at these examples:

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


Present Tense
I (usually) EAT at 7 in the morning.
Saya (biasanya) MAKAN pada pukul 7 pagi.

Present Continuous Tense
We are EATING in the restaurant.
Kami sedang MAKAN di restauran.

Present Perfect Tense
She has EATEN.
Dia sudah MAKAN.

Present Perfect Continuous Tense

He has been eating for 15 minutes.
Dia telah sedang MAKAN selama 15 menit.

Past Tense
They ATE yesterday in my house.
Mereka MAKAN kemarin di rumah saya.

Past Continuous Tense

I was EATING when he came.
Saya sedang MAKAN saat dia datang.


Past Perfect Tense

My mother said that she had EATEN.
Ibu saya berkata bahwa dia sudah MAKAN.

Past Perfect Continuous Tense
My father had been EATING when I visited him.
Bapak saya sudah sedang makan saat saya mengunjunginya.

Future Tense
My younger brother will EAT in his friend’s house tomorrow.
Adik saya akan MAKAN di rumah temannya besok.

Future Continuous Tense
My elder brother will be EATING at 6 pm.
Kakak saya akan sedang MAKAN pada pukul 6 sore.

Future Perfect Tense
I will have EATEN by 10am.
Saya akan sudah MAKAN menjelang pukul 10 pagi.

Future Perfect Continuous Tense
You will have been EATING for 30 minutes.
Kamu akan sudah sedang MAKAN selama 30 menit.

From the above examples, we see that the verb ‘makan’ (to eat) is not changed in any tenses. I will explain this lesson more deeply in the following lessons, because we do not utilise all these tenses.

0 komentar: